Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lab grades, once more

A couple of quick notes about lab reports:

  • I have asked the grader to be explicit about what he is taking off points for.
  • If you are unhappy with your lab report grade(s), bring me the reports tomorrow or Friday, and I will review them myself. If I think you've been shortchanged, I'll give you some more points. 

After getting some feedback from the TAs, I think we can be a little more lenient for the first few labs, since I think a lot of you didn't realize that you had to answer any questions asked in the writeup (and we could have been much more clear about that).

From now on, though, read the writeups carefully. For example, if the writeup says something like "Plot velocity versus time, and from its slope determine the acceleration. How does it compare with the prediction of Eq. 1?" There are three graded items here: we're expecting a plot of velocity versus time, a number for the slope and a comment on how the data compare to Eq. 1.

I guess in short, if something in the writeup is phrased as a question, it is pretty much never rhetorical. This is probably confusing because textbooks do usually pose rhetorical questions.

Last thing, I will try to just make the questions in the writeups more obvious. That will not replace carefully reading the whole thing as your best ally, but it should help ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment