Thursday, June 16, 2011

Grade revisions

I've posted the lab 5 (work-energy) grades on MasteringPhysics now, as well as changes to some earlier lab grades for those of you who asked me to have a look. Please have a careful look - be sure that your lab grade matches the one written on the report you got back, and that your grade is the same as your group mates'. Same goes for the exam grades, do check that everything seems to be correct.*

The scores from today's problem solving competition should be ready tomorrow (Thurs), and I'll post the scores by team number here for the curious. It was a bit more chaotic and slower than I had imagined (as always), but I liked that you were engaged and putting in a good effort. You can leave (anonymous) comments here if you have thoughts on the competition, particularly how to improve it or if you'd want to do it again (modulo improvements).

* I try to be very obsessive and careful, but already at this point there are 340 lab grades alone to manually enter, and typos happen. This is something you should do in all your classes, in my opinion - anyone can make a mistake, now and again, so you should keep track of your own grades as best you can to make sure nothing seems off. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking a professor to explain their grading calculation, that level of transparency should be considered mandatory. I don't mind at all if you question my numbers, and will happily explain them, I don't want them incorrect any more than you do.**

** If you notice an error in your favor, it is your call to mention it or not. I consider it your lucky day, and a lesson that I should be more careful. I don't expect you to bring it up, and don't fault you for taking the 'bonus.' If your conscience is eating away at you, however, then by all means let me know ...***

*** As we're on the subject of grading: I will add a column to MasteringPhysics shortly listing your overall course grade. You can ask/email me at any point for a grade update, I have them already calculated at any given moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment