Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Grading update

A few more grades are in, as well as some updates.

  • The problem solving competition grades are in. I grossly underestimated how seriously you would take this, so the class average was ~102% ... you win this round! In retrospect, I should have set the grading scale higher, but it was an experiment ...
  • The collisions lab scores are in too.
  • I updated almost all of the revised lab grades, except for a few of you, so most everything should be current now.
  • Since the labs were entered as a % score (up to 100 points) and the homework as a number of points (9 to 11 points per homework set), I realized it is probably hard for you to gauge your current grade. I therefore multiplied all the homework scores by 10 to make them comparable to lab scores. Your lab average and homework average have equal weight, as do each of the exams. Keep in mind I drop the lowest 2 homeworks and the lowest single lab.
  • To calculate your grade right now, drop the lowest 2 HW sets, and average the rest. Drop the lowest lab grade, average the rest. Take those two averages, and add in your exam 1 score. Divide by 3, and that's your current grade. After exam 2 scores are in, add your averages and both exam scores, and divide by 4 ... 
  • If you'd rather I just tell you your grade, I have up-to-date overall grades, just ask or send me an email. So far as I can tell, MasteringPhysics does not let me put in an overall grade column to make this easier.
  • Right now, the class average is a solid B. More than half of you have A's or B's at this moment. Very few of you are in any danger whatsoever of failing. After exam 2, nearly 75% of your graded work will be in.
And, to head this off ... I hope to have your second exam graded by Friday or Saturday, and will post grades as soon as they are done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment